5008 CorDiax Paed therapy system – Solutions for pediatric patients
- Targeting growth and cardiovascular health
- Makes highly efficient HDF therapy accessible for children
- Proven system works together aiming for best possible safety
Hemodialysis — Targeting growth and cardiovascular health
Hemodialysis (HD) is also a treatment option for children with chronic kidney disease. Older children and adolescents eventually prefer HD to PD because it affects less their body image than a PD catheter.
Children with kidney disease can have malnutrition and growth retardation and they are prone to cardiovascular disease just as adult dialysis patients1. These children are committed to a lifetime of renal replacement therapy and as many of the cardiovascular effects of dialysis are cumulative, optimization of dialysis therapy in children is very important.
Hemodiafiltration (HDF) – the recommended course of action
The 5008 CorDiax Paed machine makes the highly efficient HDF therapy also accessible for children.
With 5008 CorDiax Paed Fresenius Medical Care offers a proven system to treat young patients starting from 10 kg* of dry weight. All components of the system, dialysis machine, blood line and the dialyzers have been tested to perfectly work together as an entity.
With our 5008 CorDiax Paed therapy system we are offering solutions for the specific challenges associated to HD in pediatric patients:
- Management of low volumes
- Best therapy outcome
- Wellbeing during treatment
- Additional safety features
- Best handling and smart accessories
* As of software version 4.63.
Managing low volumes
- Sensitive machine settings and limits
- Blood flow limited according to body weight
- Reduced bolus rate according to blood flow
- Reduced blood flow of 50ml/min for a gentle start of dialysis
- Adapted air and microbubble detection sensitivity
- Pediatric User setup
- Pediatric AV blood line set with reduced fill volume of 114 ml
The 5008 CorDiax Paed software allows adjusting therapeutic parameters and thresholds within pediatric ranges, for example:
- Reinfusion volume to be chosen within the range of 60 - 480 ml
- Ultrafiltration rate to be limited until max. 1500ml/h
- Heparin rate to be set within the range of 0.5-10 ml/h
Best therapy outcome
Targeting best therapy outcomes with 5008 Paed
- HighVolumeHDF with AutoSubplus and FX CorDiax aims at maximizing substitution volume also at low blood flows to achieve clearance goals
- Reduced extracorporeal blood volume with special pediatric blood lines and small dialyzers (FX paed, FX CorDiax 40 /50)
- BCM-Body Composition Monitor: bioimpedance spectroscopy to define dry weight and “V”; validated for children with a body weight of ≥11 kg
Dialyzers with reduced volume
|Special dialyzers||FX paed||FX CorDiax 40|
|Effective surface area||0.2 m²||0.6 m²|
|Blood priming volume||18 ml||32 ml|
|Recommended blood flow range||30-100 ml/min||50-200 ml/min|
|Sterilization method||INLINE steam|
Wellbeing during treatment
- The BVM - blood volume monitor helps to maintain hemodynamic stability during treatment
- Preset inflation pressure of BPM cuff for pain-less blood pressure measurements
Additional safety features
- Higher probability of early detection of venous needle dislocation with the VAM – Venous Access Monitor (Standard)
- Increased safety for active children with the VenAcc device to determine venous needle disconnection (Option)
- Nonhazardous phtalate-free bloodlines
Best handling and clever accessories adapted to pediatric use
The 5008 CorDiax therapy system is known for its intuitive user-guidance philosophy:
- Centralized operation and information via a spacious touchscreen
- Simple and logical data entry
- Sophisticated, stress-free handling of alarms during treatment
- Easier in-house training with the new mode for simulation of blood detection
1 Chavers BM, Li S, Collins AJ, Herzog CA. Cardiovascular disease in pediatric chronic dialysis patients. Kidney International 2002; 62(2):648-653.
2 Fischbach M, Terzic J, Menouer S, Dheu C, Soskin S, Helmstetter A et al. Intensified and daily hemodialysis in children might improve statural growth. Pediatric Nephrology 2006; 21(11):1746-1752.
3 Fischbach M, Terzic J, Menouer S, Dheu C, Seuge L, Zalosczic A. Daily on line haemodiafiltration promotes catch-up growth in children on chronic dialysis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2010; 25(3):867-873.
4 Schaefer F. Daily online haemodiafiltration: the perfect 'stimulus package' to induce growth? Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2010; 25(3):658-660.